Skip to main content

Book reviews for the week of October 17th

 




Last week I had no ARCs to read then they started pouring in.  This week I have completed four ARCs and I am working on an anthology that is the fifth.  The review for that will be in next week's post.  This was an enjoyable week reading new characters from continuing series and one book from a new series that is a spin off.  It was like meeting characters I had met before, but really getting to know them this time.  Overall I had a good week.  I hope the reviews help you determine some new books to add to your own TBR.  Happy reading!



Hellion (The King Cousins #3) by K. D. Elizabeth

ARC: Release Date- 10/22/2021

#SmallTown #FriendsToLovers #OppositesAttract #FamilySeries #ARC

5 STARS

Book three of the King Cousins series can be read as a standalone. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.

Harry returns home after seven years with little contact with his brothers.  He finds that he has missed a lot of what has been going on in their lives in addition to not sharing what has happened in his.  Though he is famous, Harry is lonely.  Margaux was in his school class, and she is tied to the small town of Ovid more than she wants to be.  When Harry returns, there are fireworks between them.  I love the friendship they form and the heat between them is divine.  They have fun in a lot of ways and bring out the best in each other.  I adore how vulnerable Harry is with her and how Harry makes her feel braver and more in control of her life.

Harry must work to regain the relationships with his brothers.  There were several scenes where I laughed out loud at their antics.  This small-town family has all the feels and I loved reading Harry and Margaux’s story.





Sleight of Hand (Blackbridge Security #7) by Marie James

ARC: Release Date- 10/26/2021

#OneNightStand #Workplace #ARC

4 STARS

The next book in the Blackbridge security series can be read as a standalone and is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.

Gaige and Leighton initially meet in a hotel bar for a hook up as John and Ginger.   The heat between them is scorching.  At first, Gaige seems completely despicable.  I wanted to hit him.  There are lies told that they have to overcome to get to their HEA.

Leighton has a lot going on and she tries to keep things professional once it becomes apparent that they will need to work together.  It doesn’t take long for chemistry to morph into feelings for both of them.  There are some very funny moments.  There are some kindle-melting moments.  There are moments that brought tears to my eyes.  I love the banter between the guys at BBS.  I love the family relationships Gaige has.  I adore the support offered by both when Gaige finally starts to figure it out.

Yes. There were times when I was very upset with Gaige.  That said, I really did enjoy this book.  Especially when he becomes a little softer and loving.  I really love this whole security series and I look forward to the next story in it.





The Bromance Zone (Good Guys #1) by Lauren Blakely

ARC: Release Date - 10/26/2021

#FriendsToLovers #MMRomance #ForcedProximity #ARC

5 STARS

Written in first person from an alternating dual POV, this book is a standalone spin-off from some of the author’s other series. This MM romance is super sweet and steamy.  I love that Owen and River have been friends for so long.  I love that even though they know each other well, they are also still learning new things about each other when they decide to become more than friends.  The heat and vulnerability between the two characters is intense.  They both hope for so much more in their life and want it with each other.  One thing I adored about this book was that they recognize that the feelings they have are more at roughly the same time. I love how they are together. *sigh*

I f you are looking for a steamy and sweet MM romance, you will want to read this book.  If friend to lovers is your jam, don’t wait.  Grab this one for a warm, fuzzy, romantic, steamy read.





Ex Best Thing (Sisters From Hell #4) by Marika Ray

ARC: Release Date - 11/4/2021

#Taboo #SmalTown #FamilySeries #OppositesAttract #ARC

5 STARS

This fourth book in the series is the story of Daire and Izzy.  Though it can be read as a standalone, readers will find richer enjoyment from reading previous books about the Waldo sisters.  It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.

I will be honest, when I discovered that the hero for Izzy was Daire, I was not sure how the author was going to pull that off.  In “Unfriend Me”, Daire was not likable- AT ALL. In addition, there is a certain ick factor to dating a guy your sister already dated for a length of time.   I should not have been worried though because the author made everything okay.  Daire has and is changing when he runs into Izzy again.  He falls fast for her quiet strength.  Izzy is amazing: strong, beautiful, sensitive, sassy. caring.  I ell in love with her character from the start.  I love the vulnerability she shares with Daire.  I love the sparks and the tenderness between them.  I could feel the love.

There are steamy moments, which highlight Daire’s care of Izzy and her trust in Daire..  There are several laugh out loud moments.  There are even a few moments that brought a tear to my eye.  The series epilogue is pure perfection.  Chief Waldo in tears of joy is the best.  I also loved that Issy’s mom, Susie, gets a larger role and appreciation for the rock that she is to the family. This is the perfect wrap to the sisters series.  I cannot wait to meet the next round of characters from Hell.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book reviews for books read January 1st-10th

  Happy weekend and Happy 2025! I am starting the year strong. I have read 3 ARCs, 1 full-length novel, and 3 more novellas so far this year. The 3 ARCs were all fun reads, the next book in the Boston Billionaire Bachelors series was a fun ride, and the three monster novellas were still an enjoyable escape from reality.  I am traveling unexpectedly this month after my dad was hospitalized.  I will spend the next week in West Virginia helping my brother and helping my dad get some strength back before I return home. I am hopeful that means some dedicated reading time while I am here since there is no shortage of snow. Until next week, happy reading. The Proposal Play (Love and Hockey #3)  by Lauren Blakely                                                 ARC: Release Date-01/08/2025 #FriendsToLovers #BrothersBestFriend #MoC #Sports #ARC Written ...

Book reviews from the week of November 19th

  Happy weekend!  This week I read four ARCs and a book releasing next week thorough Amazon First Reads.  I hope my reviews can convey how much I loved these books this week.  I am all up in my feels as I write this.  Hopefully, some of these will be just what you are seeking and bring some happiness to your holiday season. I have been thinking a lot lately about romance in general and the romance community in particular.  There is always going to be a negative Nellie here and there, but overall I frequent authors and groups that bring me joy.  I love getting to know like-minded people online.  Then, when we finally get to meet in person it is like reuniting with an old friend instead of meeting a stranger.  Personally, I feel closer to my book friends than many of the people in my "real" life; even some I have known for many years. So in this season of thanksgiving, I would like to give thanks for romance.  I am thankful for interesting...

Best Reads of 2025

  Happy New Year! 2025 was a year that did not go as I planned it. I set a lot of BIG reading goals for the year. I was going to finish a whole lot of author back lists. I was going to read more historical romance, because I love them. I was going to read some non-fiction and some non-romance historical fiction. But alas, 2025 had other plans for me. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at the end of January, and my reading goals went off the rails as life became all about the next appointment or procedure. So I didn't hit a lot of those goals. I didn't read as many books as I normally do. I opted out of a few ARC teams and several individual ARCs. Thankfully, the authors who give me the privilege of reading their books in advance were very understanding. I have felt loved and supported by the book community this year as I lived this journey with my husband.  So, for 2026 I have rolled goals forward. I will allow myself some grace if I don't meet them. I will allow myself t...