Skip to main content

Book reviews for books read September 21st-30th

 


This review post is late due to a family emergency that happened about ten days ago now. I feel like I am finally getting my self together a little bit today and was able to put this together finally. During the last week of the month, I read one ARC, one book for book club, and three smutty novellas. Check out my reviews and add so books to your TBR today.


My month in review.

September turned out to be a good reading month for me. Most of the ARCs that I read that released in September, I actually read in August. That freed up some time to read from my TBR and finish two reading challenges. During the last week of the month, I finished the A to Z reading challenge. Earlier this month, I completed the B.A.N.G. Book Club reading challenge. I also took this as an opportunity to read new-to-me authors and fit in several novellas. Out of the 23 books I read and the 2 I did not finish, I read 19 new-to-me authors! That has to be a record for me. There is a place for smutty insta-love novellas and this month I had the pleasure of reading several. I am thankful that I had that time to read before life got crazy as I am really struggling to read at the moment. 

 


My completed A to Z reading challenge. 

#readingchallenge


BOOK REVIEWS


Take Me (Cherry Blossom Lake #5) by Tawna Fenske

ARC: Release Date- 09/26/2025

#FriendsToLovers #FakeRelationship #SmallTown #FamilySeries #ARC

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. Written in first person from an alternating dual POV, this can be read as a standalone and ends with a HEA. As book five of a family series, readers should be aware that characters from previous books play important roles in this one. Maximum enjoyment might be obtained from reading the series in publication order.

Mason is the Spencer-King brother who is always up for a laugh and a good time. He owns his brewery, is the life of any party, adores his twin sister, and has been best friends with Erika since they were eight years old. They have been through the ups and downs life has thrown at them. Erika is a tough woman who loves her job as a mechanic. She is good at it. She has always been a tomboy and Mason has always been her best friend.  I loved her fierce spirit. I loved that she is unapologetically true to who she is. She and Mason have known each other for so long they have a shorthand for communication that was a joy to read. Their attempt at a fake relationship doesn’t get far before it is very real to both of them. That ability to read each other pays dividends in the bedroom too. They are hot and tender with each other. Do they have a wobble? Sure. But it is resolved quickly and in the very best way. This was an outstanding addition to the series. I laughed out loud on multiple occasions. I adore this family and this series. I am excited to see what comes next.


Witch Way After Forty (Silver Sisters #1) 

by Jennifer L. Hart

#BookClub #Paranormal #OWYM #AgeGap

Written in primarily first person from multiple POV, this can be read as a standalone and ends with a HFN. There is one character (a fae) whose sections are written in third person.

I enjoyed the dynamics between the sisters as they come into their magic and learn how to work together to handle it. I liked that Alys (49) and Brock (29) are so comfortable together despite their age difference. There was humor, drama, some action, and some heat. The book addresses coming to terms with abandonment, grief, and futures much different than anticipated by the sisters. I picked this book for book club because I appreciated that the characters were in their forties and magic is always fun in October. This was my first book by this author, but I am looking forward to reading more books in this series.

Your Dad Will Do (A Touch of Taboo #1) by Katee Robert

#AgeGap #Erotica #Taboo #Novella

Written in first person from Lily’s POV, this standalone ends with a HEA. With a 20+ year age gap and the taboo element of Shane being her ex-fiancé’s father, this was a smutty, fast, and fun read. Though Daddy kink doesn’t really do it for me, I appreciated that Lily and Shane discover that they do like it with each other-something they didn’t know before. What starts as revenge sex becomes an all-consuming weekend filled with pleasure and complicated emotions. I liked that some time passes between their sexy weekend and when they finally come together for their happy ending. I loved how Shane took care of Lily in all the ways she never knew she was missing. This was my first book by this author, though I have seen her recommended a lot for her spicy books. This was a HOT read, perfect for an evening between longer books. I look forward to reading more of her books.

XXL by Kate Hunt

#AgeGap #Billionaire #CurvyGirl #GrumpySunshine #InstaLove #Novella

Written in first person from an alternating dual POV, this standalone ends with a HEA. Violet is a young woman motivated to bail her mom out of trouble. Maverick is a loner and owner of a security firm. He meets Violet on his 40th birthday at the dive bar where she is working a second job. He is immediately smitten, though it takes him a little while to admit it to himself. I appreciated his generous heart and protective nature. I liked Violet’s spunk. Hot times were fun in part because Maverick is such a giant. This was a sweet, steamy, insta-love good time.


Zane (Bad Boys of Saddle Creek #1) by Kat Baxter

#CurvyGirl #FriendsToLovers #Virgin #Novella

Written in first person from an alternating dual POV, this standalone novella ends with a HEA.  This was a quick and steamy read with a neurodivergent FMC and a tatted up and pierced cinnamon roll hero. I appreciated Emmaline’s logical outlook on life events. I loved Zane’s tender manner with her and his acceptance of who she is. This was an easy evening read that left me feeling warm and fuzzy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book reviews for books read January 1st-10th

  Happy weekend and Happy 2025! I am starting the year strong. I have read 3 ARCs, 1 full-length novel, and 3 more novellas so far this year. The 3 ARCs were all fun reads, the next book in the Boston Billionaire Bachelors series was a fun ride, and the three monster novellas were still an enjoyable escape from reality.  I am traveling unexpectedly this month after my dad was hospitalized.  I will spend the next week in West Virginia helping my brother and helping my dad get some strength back before I return home. I am hopeful that means some dedicated reading time while I am here since there is no shortage of snow. Until next week, happy reading. The Proposal Play (Love and Hockey #3)  by Lauren Blakely                                                 ARC: Release Date-01/08/2025 #FriendsToLovers #BrothersBestFriend #MoC #Sports #ARC Written ...

Best Reads of 2025

  Happy New Year! 2025 was a year that did not go as I planned it. I set a lot of BIG reading goals for the year. I was going to finish a whole lot of author back lists. I was going to read more historical romance, because I love them. I was going to read some non-fiction and some non-romance historical fiction. But alas, 2025 had other plans for me. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at the end of January, and my reading goals went off the rails as life became all about the next appointment or procedure. So I didn't hit a lot of those goals. I didn't read as many books as I normally do. I opted out of a few ARC teams and several individual ARCs. Thankfully, the authors who give me the privilege of reading their books in advance were very understanding. I have felt loved and supported by the book community this year as I lived this journey with my husband.  So, for 2026 I have rolled goals forward. I will allow myself some grace if I don't meet them. I will allow myself t...

Book reviews from the week of November 19th

  Happy weekend!  This week I read four ARCs and a book releasing next week thorough Amazon First Reads.  I hope my reviews can convey how much I loved these books this week.  I am all up in my feels as I write this.  Hopefully, some of these will be just what you are seeking and bring some happiness to your holiday season. I have been thinking a lot lately about romance in general and the romance community in particular.  There is always going to be a negative Nellie here and there, but overall I frequent authors and groups that bring me joy.  I love getting to know like-minded people online.  Then, when we finally get to meet in person it is like reuniting with an old friend instead of meeting a stranger.  Personally, I feel closer to my book friends than many of the people in my "real" life; even some I have known for many years. So in this season of thanksgiving, I would like to give thanks for romance.  I am thankful for interesting...