Skip to main content

Book reviews for books read in August 2026

 

 

In August, I read six ARCs and one book from my TBR. I then quickly followed that with two prequel novellas from the author's website to get the background of that world. I had a really fabulous month!  The ARCs were all fantastic! I cannot recommend them enough.  Just check my reviews and add them to your TBR. The TBR book by new-to-me author Lilith Stone (and the prequels) were exactly the palette cleanser I needed between the contemporary romance reads. Until next time, Happy Reading.

(Note: I also read one book which has been on my kindle for a while which I chose not to rate or review. It was honestly the worst book I have ever read Therefore, I am not counting it in my review stats for the month.) 

While You Were Trending (Accidentally Infamous #2) 

by Pippa Grant

ARC: Release Date-08/11/2026

#Celebrity #CinnamonRollHero #EnemiesToLovers #Sports #RomanticComedy #ARC

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV and ends with a HEA. Though it can be read as a standalone, I strongly suggest reading the series in order to better understand the winery subplot and the relationships between this found family of characters.

Ginny finally gets the love she has always deserved when Declan comes back into her life. I adored reading as she works through her childhood family trauma and heals with the help of his love. Declan is a giant cinnamon roll hero who has always loved Ginny.  I love that he finally takes his shot and wins the girl. His dog Flow is an excellent character too.  I loved being back in the Makepeace Winery setting with this wonderful found family. Each character brings something special to the table and shines in their own way. 

I love the premise of this series and these characters.  This author never fails to make me smile no matter what is happening in my life or in the world around us. I can’t wait for the next book.

Colt (Double U Ranch #1) by Jessica Peterson

ARC: Release Date- 8/18/2026

#Cowboy #EnemiesToLovers #FamilySeries #GrumpyHero #SingleDad #SmallTown #ARC

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. Book one of this new spin-off series can be read as a standalone and ends with a HEA.

Colt (31) is the grumpy cowboy trying to keep his head above water as a single dad to his six-year-old son. Lainey (24) is a recent business school graduate trying to figure out her path in life after graduation.  Sparks flew when these two met. I adored how confident Lainey was and how well she stood up for herself to Colt. I appreciated that Colt is vulnerable to Lainey. I loved their honesty and commitment to open communication. I can always count on this author to deliver a romance full of solid family relationships, food and drink that makes my mouth water, and spicy scenes that make my kindle blush. Adding the cowboy twang to the mix is just a bonus.

There is a lot to love about this book, and it makes me super excited to read this whole series.

Heaven Help Me (Southern Charm #3) by Marika Ray

ARC: Release Date- August 20, 2026

#EnemiesToLovers #Mafia #RomanticComedy #SecondChance #SmallTown  #ARC

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. This is written in first person from an alternating dual POV, can be read as a standalone, and ends with a HEA.

Who doesn’t want to read a mafia romcom? Deuce is the epitome of the southern gentleman playboy. Model handsome, very well dressed, oozing charm and flirtatiousness: he is the total package. When you add in what a good friend he is and even more, how he takes care of his dad? Yeah, there is no hope not to fall for him.  That was even before this reader discovered his romantic tendencies and serious skills (not all bedroom based). Add in an unexpected phobia and you just cannot resist him.

Valentina is a black cat heroine. She is a serious bada$$ girl boss. The more I learned about her, the more I liked her. I appreciated her willingness to try new things, to adapt to and embrace change, and to learn to trust that people really did care about her.

I loved that these characters were 40ish and mature. I loved that they communicated with each other, supported each other when they teamed up, and worked well together.  There are hot times (literally), romantic moments, tender understanding, and friendship between the two characters. There were also plenty of moments that made me snort laugh out loud. If you are looking for a lighthearted, funny read that will melt your heart, you have found it here.

Falling Together (Pinecrest, Montana #3) by Emily Silver

ARC: Release Date- 08/21/2026

#AgeGap #OneNightStand #SingleDad #SurprisePregnancy #SmallTown #ARC

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV, can be read as a standalone, and ends with a HEA.

I am a sucker for the surprise pregnancy trope and I was so excited to see it happen in this series.

Georgia (25) is the responsible, organized, consistent friend. She works hard at her horse therapy program for children. When a snowstorm and a wedding lead her to be a little reckless, she has a hot one-night stand that leads to a changed life. Grant is a baseball dad who is committed to his 14-year-old son. When he makes the big move from LA to Montana, he finds out his one-night stand from a few months ago has a big surprise for him.

I loved that Georgia and Grant have amazing chemistry. I adored the relationship that Georgia builds with Grant’s son, Luke. One of my favorite things in this series is the sisterhood Georgia and her friends share. Their found family is strong and enduring. This was a wonderful small-town read that I couldn’t put down.

Peaks & Promises (Haven Brothers #6) by Claire Kingsley

ARC: Release Date- 09/08/2026

#FakeRelationship #FriendsToLovers #SingleMom #FamilySeries #RomanticSuspense #SmallTown #ARC

Reese is home.

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV and ends with a HEA. Though Reese and Summer’s story can absolutely stand alone, I highly recommend this whole fabulous series.

Summer has not had an easy life. She works hard to do the best she can for herself and her son while avoiding her past. Unfortunately, her past keeps finding her. I loved her strength, her snark, her fierce mama bear protectiveness, and her determination. She is an incredibly brave heroine who fits perfectly when she meets the Haven family.

Reese finally comes home.  I had theories as to what he was doing while he was away, and I have to tell you: they were all incorrect. The author gave him a believable story that explained why he was so reserved and a little broken. Reading as he comes home to a boatload of love made me tear up. I adored his protectiveness of Summer and Nate. The relationship he formed with Nate was something really, really, special.  I loved that he is a big, tatted guy with Resting Scary Face and a marshmallow heart. Every book I say the hero is my favorite Haven.  Reese is last, for sure, but he is absolutely my favorite.

Suspenseful elements, steamy times, tender moments, and a found family worth keeping made this a read I didn’t want to finish. I didn’t want to leave this world. Now, I just have a massive book hangover.

State of Ruin (Alchemy of New York #1) by Elodie Hart

ARC: Release Date 9/10/2026

#AgeGap #Billionaire #Obsessed #SecretRelationship #ARC

I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an advance reader copy of the book. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV. It can be read as a standalone and ends with a HEA.

Elyse is an amazing FMC.  At 26, she is working her night job, looking for modeling work (tough at 5’4”) and helping take care of her sister, niece, and dad after a terrible year. She is optimistic, hard-working, loyal, and has a fantastically good heart. I adored her on so many levels. She loves with her whole being yet is not afraid to demand the kind of respect and loyalty she deserves back from the man in her life.

Sinclair (36) is a nepo baby, billionaire, and CEO of his family’s corporation. He is used to money, power, and getting what he wants without regard to the other people that might affect. At the 50% point in this book, I had to take a break. I’m not sure if I have ever disliked a hero more than this one. He is so incredibly arrogant, entitled, and completely blind to how wrong his actions are. Honestly, he is a walking, talking, giant red flag in man form. I had to talk myself through the process of finishing the book.  I trusted this author to do the right thing and walk this m0r0n through whatever changes he has to make to be a better person. She promised that she made him grovel, though at that point I was not convinced there could ever be enough remorse on his part for Elyse to give him another chance. I should have known better. Of course, the author made him actually change how he viewed both himself and his impact on the world around him. She had him look at his entire life and his family through an entirely new lens of truth. She walked him through some very painful revelations about how he was trained to live his life. And he chooses to work and become the man who might deserve a woman as wonderful as Elyse.

Though not as steamy as the original Alchemy series, there is still plenty of heat. What there is not is multiple partner play or the exhibition/voyeurism kinks we saw in some of those books. Readers do see a relationship go from purely physical to intensely emotional and tender. The betrayal, heartache, and reflection only deepened that bond between them in their physical relationship. This was an excellent start to a new series, and I am looking forward to seeing Felix Wolfe get his HEA next.

Rescued by the Orc (Monsters of Motham City Prequel #1) by Lilith Stone

#Monster #InstaLove #Novella #Prequel

In a prequel set before The Great War, this sets the historical tone for the Motham City Monsters series. Aria is a human apothecary saved by Owen when she became endangered among the humans. Sweet, short and steamy, this novella is written in first person, dual POV, and ends with a HEA.

Abducted by the Ogre 

(Monsters of Motham City Prequel #2) by Lilith Stone

#Monster #InstaLove #Novella #Prequel

Grulko is an ogre who escaped execution by his own family. Tamsin is a human baker who was raised by her grandmother at the edge of the forest. When the town turns against her in fear Grulko carries her away to safety. Hot and steamy, with a quick HEA, this is written in first person, dual POV, and ends with a HEA.

Mail Order Minotaur (Motham City Monsters #1) 

by Lilith Stone

#Debut #Monster #CinnamonRollHero #InstaLove #FatedMates

Written in third person, this debut novel builds a love story between a minotaur man and a human woman. It also establishes the post-war world far in the future where monsters and humans live beside each other as they struggle to live with each other. There is an undercurrent of social dialogue that shines light on issues of bigotry, slavery, and economic disparity between humans and the monster races that is maintained intentionally by the humans. There is a lot said quietly between the lines without ever beating you over your head with it.

Bryn is 30 and the oldest of 5 siblings. He is loyal and kind and values his family more than anything. He cares for them and his mother, and it is quickly obvious that he has a soft heart. He also just happens to run an escort service of male minotaur to be hired by humans. Ivy (25) is an only child of wealthy upper class society parents who is making her way on her own as a tour guide. Though shy and a little uptight, she can’t explain the feeling she has when she is around Bryn. I liked that she is willing to fight for their relationship and is brave in pursuing it. Their relationship is sweet and steamy. Open door scenes intended for 18+ readers are fun, flirty, and detailed. This was a fun read. I immediately downloaded the two free prequel novellas from the author’s website and read them too. I am excited to read more of this series. It served as a perfect palette cleanser between contemporary romance novels.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book reviews from the week of January 8th

  Happy weekend fellow readers!  I had an AMAZING week reading.  I read three ARCs, a prequel to a new series and one of the ARCs, a book on my TBR, and a newly released memoir.   Kait Nolan's new series Kilted Hearts is set in a small Scottish village and I am 100% hooked on how this is going to play out. I need the whole series now.  Carly Phillips is getting ready to release a short follow-up to Just One Spark.  I love seeing Cassidy and Dash work on their marriage and compromise for more happiness.  Melanie Moreland released The Watcher while I was on vacation last fall.  It has been patiently waiting on my kindle for me to get back to it. And now that I have I need to say WOW! Damien is everything I needed him to be.  Following that up with an ARC of the final book in the series, I then fell head over heels for Egan and his romantic soul.  Finally, I spent 2 days reading Prince Harry's newly released memoir.  I had a lot o...

Best Reads of 2025

  Happy New Year! 2025 was a year that did not go as I planned it. I set a lot of BIG reading goals for the year. I was going to finish a whole lot of author back lists. I was going to read more historical romance, because I love them. I was going to read some non-fiction and some non-romance historical fiction. But alas, 2025 had other plans for me. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at the end of January, and my reading goals went off the rails as life became all about the next appointment or procedure. So I didn't hit a lot of those goals. I didn't read as many books as I normally do. I opted out of a few ARC teams and several individual ARCs. Thankfully, the authors who give me the privilege of reading their books in advance were very understanding. I have felt loved and supported by the book community this year as I lived this journey with my husband.  So, for 2026 I have rolled goals forward. I will allow myself some grace if I don't meet them. I will allow myself t...

Book reviews from the week of June 7th

  The weekend is almost over as I type this but this is me running behind this week. What a week it has been! I have worked a lot at the job, the hubby had surgery, and we celebrated both my 33rd wedding anniversary and Father's Day.  I read one ARC, two books from my TBR, and one new-to-me author. I have found that after I read a really good book I need to read something a little different to get over the book hangover. That happened twice this week. After I finished the Harlow James ARC, I read an escort book by Leigh James that has been on my kindle for ages. After I read Lyndsey Gallagher's newest release, I started Escort Training which I think I picked up free a while back. That led me down a rabbit hole to reading the whole series. I have decided to review that whole series together as opposed to reviewing each book individually as they are really one story on three stages. It was a fabulous variety of reads this week and now I need to get serious and get back to ARCs. ...