Skip to main content

Book reviews from the week of January 1st

 


Happy weekend! This first week of the year, I only managed to read two books.  I was getting my best of 2022 blog post together, and it is without a doubt the most labor intensive post I do each year.  I was thrilled to start my year by reading the next book in the Blackwater pack series.  It is a big book at well over 500 pages and I knew i would need time to read it.  I also knew it would deal with some heavy topics because of everything the heroine had been through.  It left me with quite the book hangover.  Luckily, I had a romantic comedy ARC by Marika ray ready to go.  Dax and Rita were everything I needed them to be. With two 5 star reads this week, my year is off to a fantastic start.  

I wish everyone a fabulous week full of good books and the time to read them.



Cougar From Hell (Hellman Brothers #4) by Marika Ray

ARC: Release date 01/12/2023

#AgeGap #OWYM #SingleMom #SmallTown #FamilySeries #ARC

5 STARS

Book four in the series can be read as a standalone and ends with a HEA.  It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.

Daxon is the fourth Hellman brother to find love.  I never thought I would love him, but I really do. He never expected to find it with a woman 10 years older than him, a single mom, or someone he had “met” briefly before.  Rita is a firecracker.  She and her daughter are spunky and full of sass. The poking and ribbing that goes on between Rita and Dax is so much fun to read.  Their banter is on point.  And you know what happens when the main characters get riled up?  That’s right! A whole lot of heat is going on at the jobsite of Rita’s new house.

I love Dax and his vulnerability and soft heart that is hiding under his gruff and grumpy exterior.  The way his heart melts for Rita’s little girl is truly special.  I adore their relationship.  I also love his relationship with his mom.  I never would have thought that Dax was the mama’s boy; but is he ever.  I love the understanding that forms between Dax and Rita as they share their vulnerable moments and learn to trust each other.  They have a few hurdles to get there, and I loved reading as they overcame them.

The small town of Auburn Hill (AKA Hell) continues to provide readers with antics from the characters who live there.  The brotherly banter between the Hellman brothers is on point and laugh-out-loud funny.  This an excellent addition to the series.


Scars (Blackwater Pack #4) by Hannah McBride

#Paranormal #Shifter #SecondChance #FatedMates #HealingLove

5 STARS

Book 4 in the Blackwater Pack offers readers the story of Nik and Addie. This book ends with a HEA though this series should be read in order. There are underlying plot points in the series that continue throughout and will continue more in future books. This book is written in first person and offers chapters from both Addie's and Nik's POV.

Addie has been through nearly 2 decades of traumatic violence when she and Nik are reunited. They both have agreed to spending time together to see if their broken bond can be healed. Their road is not an easy one. Addie is struggling. My heart was broken for her. Her strength is amazing, and that she survived what she did with most of her sanity is truly incredible. Her character is one of the deepest, most developed characters I have read in a while.

Nik is patient and kind and carries a burden of guilt for what Addie endured. I love his protectiveness of Addie. I adored his gentleness and his patience as she healed. I appreciated so many things about him, really, words are not enough.

There are hot moments, moments that will break your heart, shifter violence, and mentions of the sexual violence and torture that Addie endured. Readers with triggers will want to be aware that Addie has been abused, violated, and tortured. This may be a book they will not want to read. Ultimately though, this is an incredible love story. Fated mates who were ripped apart find their way back together and piece together healing that takes a very long time to complete. This book is going to stay with me for a very long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book reviews for books read January 1st-10th

  Happy weekend and Happy 2025! I am starting the year strong. I have read 3 ARCs, 1 full-length novel, and 3 more novellas so far this year. The 3 ARCs were all fun reads, the next book in the Boston Billionaire Bachelors series was a fun ride, and the three monster novellas were still an enjoyable escape from reality.  I am traveling unexpectedly this month after my dad was hospitalized.  I will spend the next week in West Virginia helping my brother and helping my dad get some strength back before I return home. I am hopeful that means some dedicated reading time while I am here since there is no shortage of snow. Until next week, happy reading. The Proposal Play (Love and Hockey #3)  by Lauren Blakely                                                 ARC: Release Date-01/08/2025 #FriendsToLovers #BrothersBestFriend #MoC #Sports #ARC Written ...

Book reviews from the week of November 19th

  Happy weekend!  This week I read four ARCs and a book releasing next week thorough Amazon First Reads.  I hope my reviews can convey how much I loved these books this week.  I am all up in my feels as I write this.  Hopefully, some of these will be just what you are seeking and bring some happiness to your holiday season. I have been thinking a lot lately about romance in general and the romance community in particular.  There is always going to be a negative Nellie here and there, but overall I frequent authors and groups that bring me joy.  I love getting to know like-minded people online.  Then, when we finally get to meet in person it is like reuniting with an old friend instead of meeting a stranger.  Personally, I feel closer to my book friends than many of the people in my "real" life; even some I have known for many years. So in this season of thanksgiving, I would like to give thanks for romance.  I am thankful for interesting...

Best Reads of 2025

  Happy New Year! 2025 was a year that did not go as I planned it. I set a lot of BIG reading goals for the year. I was going to finish a whole lot of author back lists. I was going to read more historical romance, because I love them. I was going to read some non-fiction and some non-romance historical fiction. But alas, 2025 had other plans for me. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at the end of January, and my reading goals went off the rails as life became all about the next appointment or procedure. So I didn't hit a lot of those goals. I didn't read as many books as I normally do. I opted out of a few ARC teams and several individual ARCs. Thankfully, the authors who give me the privilege of reading their books in advance were very understanding. I have felt loved and supported by the book community this year as I lived this journey with my husband.  So, for 2026 I have rolled goals forward. I will allow myself some grace if I don't meet them. I will allow myself t...