Skip to main content

Book reviews from the week of February 20th

 


This week has been another week traveling for me.  Visiting family and taking care of things in Pennsylvania and West Virginia before flying to Nashville meant not a lot of reading time for me.  I did manage to read both the prequel and the ARC of Lauren Blakely's new release which is available today.

I am loving Nashville so far, though it is colder here than I expected.  I love meeting book friends I have only known online.  Exploring a new city with them is the best.  Tomorrow is the Music City with the Belles signing and I can't wait to tell everyone about how it goes.

In the meantime, have a great reading week.



Wild Card Night (Happy Endings #0.5) by Lauren Blakely

#Prequel #Sports #Fling

4 STARS

This is the prequel to a new series.  It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.  Katie and Harlan are perfect for each other.  Only the timing of their relationship is wrong in this prequel set nearly eight years before book one of the series.  Sass, steam, and some serious flirting take place as Harlan and Katie meet and share instant chemistry and connection.  I couldn’t wait to start the series.



Wild Card Kiss (Happy Endings #1) by Lauren Blakely

ARC: Release Date- -2/25/2022

#SecondChance #Sports #SingleDad #ARC

4 STARS

This is the first book in a new series, and it is a standalone that ends with a HEA.  It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.  This book takes place nearly eight years after the end of the prequel, Wild Card Night.

Katie experiences some opera drama in her life and winds up at the bowling alley bar in her wedding dress after the wedding that did not happen.  This is where she runs into Harlan again. 

The chemistry and sparks between the two characters are strong.  I love Katie and her resilience.  She owns her strengths and is fearless when it comes to having fun or doing what she needs to do for herself.  Harlan is amazing.  He is a good dad and a super-athlete.  I love the friendship and tenderness he and Katie share in addition to their passion.  Some might call him a cinnamon roll hero.  He is loving and protective without ever being demanding or overbearing.  The respect he shows Katie is incredibly hot as he lets her dictate their relationship when things get complicated.  This was a very enjoyable read and I am looking forward to reading more books in this series


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Reads of 2025

  Happy New Year! 2025 was a year that did not go as I planned it. I set a lot of BIG reading goals for the year. I was going to finish a whole lot of author back lists. I was going to read more historical romance, because I love them. I was going to read some non-fiction and some non-romance historical fiction. But alas, 2025 had other plans for me. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at the end of January, and my reading goals went off the rails as life became all about the next appointment or procedure. So I didn't hit a lot of those goals. I didn't read as many books as I normally do. I opted out of a few ARC teams and several individual ARCs. Thankfully, the authors who give me the privilege of reading their books in advance were very understanding. I have felt loved and supported by the book community this year as I lived this journey with my husband.  So, for 2026 I have rolled goals forward. I will allow myself some grace if I don't meet them. I will allow myself t...

Book reviews for books read January 1st-10th

  Happy weekend and Happy 2025! I am starting the year strong. I have read 3 ARCs, 1 full-length novel, and 3 more novellas so far this year. The 3 ARCs were all fun reads, the next book in the Boston Billionaire Bachelors series was a fun ride, and the three monster novellas were still an enjoyable escape from reality.  I am traveling unexpectedly this month after my dad was hospitalized.  I will spend the next week in West Virginia helping my brother and helping my dad get some strength back before I return home. I am hopeful that means some dedicated reading time while I am here since there is no shortage of snow. Until next week, happy reading. The Proposal Play (Love and Hockey #3)  by Lauren Blakely                                                 ARC: Release Date-01/08/2025 #FriendsToLovers #BrothersBestFriend #MoC #Sports #ARC Written ...

Book reviews from the week of November 19th

  Happy weekend!  This week I read four ARCs and a book releasing next week thorough Amazon First Reads.  I hope my reviews can convey how much I loved these books this week.  I am all up in my feels as I write this.  Hopefully, some of these will be just what you are seeking and bring some happiness to your holiday season. I have been thinking a lot lately about romance in general and the romance community in particular.  There is always going to be a negative Nellie here and there, but overall I frequent authors and groups that bring me joy.  I love getting to know like-minded people online.  Then, when we finally get to meet in person it is like reuniting with an old friend instead of meeting a stranger.  Personally, I feel closer to my book friends than many of the people in my "real" life; even some I have known for many years. So in this season of thanksgiving, I would like to give thanks for romance.  I am thankful for interesting...