Skip to main content

Book reviews from the week of August 8th

 


Happy weekend! My adult son is visiting us for a couple of weeks and I have been playing tour guide.  We have done a lot of fun things this week and I was still able to read three books.  I read one ARC; and Jackie Walker's next release had me laughing out loud as usual.  I also read two new-to-me authors in preparation for the Holidays with the Belles book signing in Dallas next month.  Both were enjoyable reads and I look forward to reading more of their work in the future.  I hope you have an amazing next week.  Happy reading!



Love & Other Trouble (Love & Laughs) 

by Jackie Walker

ARC: Release Date- 8/17/2021

#SingleDad #RomanticComedy #FamilySeries #ARC

5 STARS

Jackie Walker has another winner in this book.  CJ Amos finally finds a man who deserves her in Archer Bliss.  Their story is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.

CJ: marine biologist, kind, hard-working, helpful, loyal, and gorgeous.  Archer: hot, single dad of three kids, business owner, mission-oriented, loving, family man.

These two characters meet during a very bad day when they discover that CJ’s boyfriend, Danny, has been cheating with Archer’s girlfriend, Becki.  I love how they get together and how they build love and trust with each other.  I love they steamy scenes between them.  I laughed out loud on multiple occasions; this book made me smile.  I adore that they both have family support in their lives.   The Amos family text thread never fails to disappoint for laughs.  Seriously, they are a lot like my family when we are together. And Archer’s kids- let me just say that I fell head over heels for all of them.  Adorable- even the teenager.  I love that CJ and Archer are both in their 40’s and are mature characters who can have a relationship without childish drama.

There are subplots involving co-worker drama (with awesome pranks included), Archer’s ex-wife, self-esteem,  trust, finding your voice, and family-both born and chosen.  I loved the growth that CJ experiences because of Archer’s love and trust.  I love how well they communicate with each other, sometimes without words. Finally, I adore the relationships that CJ and her family build with Archer’s children: absolutely priceless.  You want to read this book.



Checked Out by Hazel James

#OppositesAttract #RomanticComedy

5 STARS

In preparation for attending the Holidays with the Belles book signing in Dallas next month, I am reading several new-to-me authors who will be attending. When I looked up Ms. James, this book sounded adorable and it really, really was. It is written in first person with an alternating dual POV.

Jack is the most awesome hero. He is a little shy, a little lacking in confidence in some areas, and that only makes him more likable. He is handsome, intelligent, kind, and has an amazing sense of humor. I fell hard for him. Luckily, so did Tuesday. She sees Jack for the good man he is and falls for him hard and fast. I love that they build a solid friendship and trust along the way. I love that their black moment is really more of a gray moment. I love the way they are together and the HEA is incredibly sweet.

I giggled throughout this book. This could totally be a Hallmark movie if the couple of bedroom scenes were fade to black. I love the bit of steam with the open door scenes, though, so don't do that. This was a feel good read that left me smiling from ear to ear. It was exactly what I needed.



Protect Me (The Protector #1) by Melissa Townsend

#NewAdult #SingleDad #Paranormal #RomanticSuspense

4 STARS

In preparation for the book signing, Holiday with the Belles, in Dallas next month, I am reading several new-to-me authors. This was my first book by this author. It is written in first person from an alternating dual POV.

Shiloh is a protector. As the book progresses, readers learn what that means, how it is dangerous, and how one becomes a protector. He is special. He finds Nat sleeping on a park bench. She has had a rough life and is homeless at 17. He watches over her and they bond. Shiloh is also responsible for his 12 year old sister, in that way making this a little of a single-dad romance as well. Both characters are likable and I found myself rooting for them. I wanted them to be successful in life and in love.

I liked the writer's style. The story contains supernatural elements, danger, and a suspense plot. Bedroom scenes are closed door, but I was able to feel the care and trust between the characters. I liked the overall plot of the protectors and their dangers and I look forward to reading more of these books in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book reviews for books read January 1st-10th

  Happy weekend and Happy 2025! I am starting the year strong. I have read 3 ARCs, 1 full-length novel, and 3 more novellas so far this year. The 3 ARCs were all fun reads, the next book in the Boston Billionaire Bachelors series was a fun ride, and the three monster novellas were still an enjoyable escape from reality.  I am traveling unexpectedly this month after my dad was hospitalized.  I will spend the next week in West Virginia helping my brother and helping my dad get some strength back before I return home. I am hopeful that means some dedicated reading time while I am here since there is no shortage of snow. Until next week, happy reading. The Proposal Play (Love and Hockey #3)  by Lauren Blakely                                                 ARC: Release Date-01/08/2025 #FriendsToLovers #BrothersBestFriend #MoC #Sports #ARC Written ...

Book reviews from the week of November 19th

  Happy weekend!  This week I read four ARCs and a book releasing next week thorough Amazon First Reads.  I hope my reviews can convey how much I loved these books this week.  I am all up in my feels as I write this.  Hopefully, some of these will be just what you are seeking and bring some happiness to your holiday season. I have been thinking a lot lately about romance in general and the romance community in particular.  There is always going to be a negative Nellie here and there, but overall I frequent authors and groups that bring me joy.  I love getting to know like-minded people online.  Then, when we finally get to meet in person it is like reuniting with an old friend instead of meeting a stranger.  Personally, I feel closer to my book friends than many of the people in my "real" life; even some I have known for many years. So in this season of thanksgiving, I would like to give thanks for romance.  I am thankful for interesting...

Best Reads of 2025

  Happy New Year! 2025 was a year that did not go as I planned it. I set a lot of BIG reading goals for the year. I was going to finish a whole lot of author back lists. I was going to read more historical romance, because I love them. I was going to read some non-fiction and some non-romance historical fiction. But alas, 2025 had other plans for me. My husband was diagnosed with cancer at the end of January, and my reading goals went off the rails as life became all about the next appointment or procedure. So I didn't hit a lot of those goals. I didn't read as many books as I normally do. I opted out of a few ARC teams and several individual ARCs. Thankfully, the authors who give me the privilege of reading their books in advance were very understanding. I have felt loved and supported by the book community this year as I lived this journey with my husband.  So, for 2026 I have rolled goals forward. I will allow myself some grace if I don't meet them. I will allow myself t...